how to play “Purple Rain” on guitar by Prince | electric guitar lesson tutorial
Please help support my lessons by donating here: https://www.shutupandplay.ca/donate.html
Wikipedia link: https://goo.gl/3W6Zei
An electric guitar lesson on how to play “Purple Rain” by Prince and the Revolution from the album “Purple Rain”, released in 1984.
More shocking news this week with the passing of Prince. Very tragic and 57 just seems so young these days…
Prince was an incredibly talented person. Singer, writer, producer, guitarist, keyboard player, dancer and amazing performer. These days, you might need to hire 10 people do to do everything that he was not only capable of, but that he excelled at. Really an amazing individual…
As a tribute to him, this is my lesson on the rhythm guitar parts to “Purple Rain.” This has always been my favorite Prince song. It’s very soulful and has sort of a gospel feel to it. I really think that he nailed it with this tune…it’s a very emotional performance.
It’s one of those songs that you recognize when you hear the first chord.
There’s only four chords in the song, but three of them are quite different to what I think most people are used to playing. It’s essentially a 1-6-5-4 progression, which is very common, but the voicings and flavor of the chords are what make it so unique. You’ll know the difference right away when you play the proper chords.
I hope you enjoy the video and enjoy playing this amazing song.
I get a lot of questions about my gear. You can read about it on my website here: https://www.shutupandplay.ca/gear.html
Folks may be surprised at how much time and effort goes into creating these videos. If you’re getting something out of the lessons and can afford to contribute, I’ve setup a donation page. If you can’t afford it no worries, but if you can, any amount is appreciated and will help me to continue to make the videos.
Thanks for all the comments, and questions and of course for subscribing. A special thanks to all of you that have contributed financially by making a donation! I really appreciate the support. Good luck to everyone with their guitar playing.
- The Final Countdown – Europe (How to Play – Guitar Solo Lesson)
- Sweep Picking Shred Guitar Lesson in E Minor | Jonathan Graham
- Super Easy First Guitar Lesson – Guitar Lessons For Beginners – Stage 1 – The D Chord
- Steve Vai Guitar Lesson – For The Love of God – Alien Guitar Secrets: Passion & Warfare
- Sorry – Justin Bieber – Guitar Lesson (Guitar Tutorial) Easy chords + Melody
- Slow and Easy Delta Blues Guitar Lesson (Fingerstyle) – EP177 – Easy Fingerstyle Guitar Lesson
- Play TEN guitar songs with two EASY chords | Beginners first guitar lesson
- Pink Floyd “Wish You Were Here” Complete Guitar Lesson
- Nirvana – You Know You’re Right Guitar Lesson
- More Than Words – Extreme – Guitar Lesson Acoustic (SB-126) Nuno
- Metallica – Moth Into Flame Guitar Lesson (Chords/Rhythms)
- Melodic Blues Guitar Lesson
- How to play the Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams – Guitar Lesson Tutorial
- How to play ‘The Stage’ Intro Taps by Avenged Sevenfold Guitar Lesson
- how to play “Kashmir” on guitar by Led Zeppelin | electric guitar lesson tutorial
- Ed Sheeran – Thinking Out Loud – Lesson – How to Play on guitar – Tutorial Chords